I was playing cards with my parents the other day and having tons of fun. What is wrong with me. That's all I kept thinking as I was enjoying it. Then I thought about it for days and days cause...well, that's what I do.
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with being really authentic around them. And/or knowing that when I say terrible or stupid things they will still like me after. I mean, my dad said he was going to disown me at one point during the day, but I reminded him that he already tried to do that when I was 18 and came home with a lip ring. Obviously, as my "favorite child" Christmas ornament* indicates - it didn't work.
So we played several games but ended with pinochle. It's typically a couple's game but there is a 3 player version with a kitty. We grew up playing Pinochle. I usually win against them but mostly because I have enough faith to make run-like bids banking on the hope that I'll actually make a run with the kitty. It's really foolish but being the prophet that I am, I can usually sense when my cards are there. jk. But the curiosity of the kitty KILLS me and while my mom will tell me if the one card I was looking for is in there, my dad will not. So if I'm ever REALLY losing, I will just out-bid him every time just to know the cards. Really, only a parent could love me.
So playing my mom says: "You know growing up, my sister used to bring her boyfriends over to play cards with Charlie and my Mom. You should bring someone over so we can play partners."
Me: "But Charlie and Grandma were fun"
My dad got offended and my mom laughed hysterically. Typical tom and alexis reactions.
*I'm not really their favorite. I think they just feel a sense of purpose when I'm around because I still need my mom to fix the washing machine when I break it and call my dad to ask about car things. I'm also the only one that doesn't have a spouse or kids who need my attention more than them. They're still my only family. Honestly, as much as I want to move, when I think about not living near them, it makes me pretty sad. These last two years home have been really good for us. And no one encourages my mom to buy a puppy against my dad's wishes like I do. Oh yeah! That was when he threatened to disown me. When I talked about the cute puppy and kitten they'd be getting in their Christmas stockings.
When my mom retires, puppy gifts are fair game. Right?
No comments:
Post a Comment