Thursday, November 21, 2013

Give an Inch

I try to set strict visitation rules with my parents.  Out of the country, they don't email me for months. My dad, literally emailed me twice in 13 months.  Once was to tell me my W-2's came in.  The second email was to tell me I should send him my resume so he could look it over before I came home.  Living in the same city, however, my dad wants me over for bbqs and football every Sunday and my mom would stop over my apt. everyday if she could.  No stop-overs allowed.  

Lately my mom's been kind of bummed, so I spent some good weekend time with her doing whatever she wanted without complaining.  A rare treat for her. Then she emailed me Monday AM and I felt like I should reply instead of just reading it.  Then she texted me three times on her lunch break, called me to see how I was, and texted me later that day to see if I wanted to go to a play with her.  The next day, she emailed me in the morning to tell me I was wonderful.  I responded 'all my goodness comes from you!'...To which she responded  'Glory to God for all things - all of our goodness and mercy is from Him'.  *ugghh*  To which I told her,  "Accepting a compliment isn't a sin, mom, I promise".  She texted me after work to ask about my day and the next morning. In addition, she sent two emails the following morning. She's called me two times this week and left messages saying she just wanted to hear my voice.  I love my mom. A lot.  But this kind of clinging makes me sooooooooo uncomfortable.  Even if it's coming from my mom.

If any of my brothers are reading this, can you please call your mother!?

Ok and in full disclosure, I looked into my emails from my dad to check my facts.  Three more, 1 on my birthday of simply the birthday song lyrics (thank you for remembering), 1 of a picture of the birthday present that I had sent to him (thoughtful), and 1 wishing me a happy fathers day explaining that I too have an "eternal father". hm.  

So, have boundaries.  

And my family isn't very good at middle ground.    

1 comment:

  1. I get a little of that too. At least it's long distance.

    ReplyDelete