Thursday, November 28, 2013

Everyone's (got) a problem

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Today sucks.  I woke up with a flat tire and strep throat.  It hurts to be awake, let alone trying to tackle eating things (my thanksgiving: water and a banana). The combination of both prevented me from joining my family 6 hours away.  It just didn't seem right to drive 6+ hrs with a fever, arriving hours late, missing dinner completely, and getting several other people sick. I feel like my sister-in-laws who stay-at-home with their tiny ones would be so mad. And then I'd be sick working tomorrow with an angry client on the phone and two little girls who want to play knocking at the door.  And I really want to play with those little girls.  I should have taken the end of the week off and I should have kept drinking hot toddies each night this week.  You can't get sick when the whiskey's disinfecting your throat daily, right?

Everyone keeps posting "You're part of the problem!"  posts on their blogs and their facebook about people shopping today.  It's so weird to me.  I don't really know what they're trying to accomplish, first of all.  Do they think enough people will feel guilty, that Thanksgiving shopping will be unsuccessful and never happen again?  I don't understand why people are so upset and concerned with other people's traditions.  I mean, yes, I do feel bad for people having to work on a holiday...that being said...in my former experience as a manager, there were always people who wanted to work. People who needed or wanted the extra money, ignored holidays, or didn't in fact have families to spend their holidays with.  I also really like going to the movies every Christmas so I have no right taking up the not-working-on-holidays campaign.  Also, when I was a flight attendant and feeling so alone on thanksgiving in my hotel, I was really grateful for the open Denny's across the street so that I at least wasn't physically alone.  Anyway, shopping, back to shopping.  Do I think saying you're thankful for things in your life and then immediately going shopping for meaningless crap is weird? Yes. But do I think saying you're thankful for your family and then moving to the tv set and ignoring those same people to watch football etc is weird too?  Yes.  But we can't force everyone to love their family and play charades every fourth Thursday in Nov, guys.  Everyone does weird things! All the time!  Who cares?  Isn't the whole point of being American/grown up that we get to do whatever we want? 

I was raised to be really America about my opinions.  Always right for everyone. The more I meet people that way and people who aren't, the more I know I don't want to be America.  I want to be Canada, you know?  Whatever, eh.




No comments:

Post a Comment