So I started reading this book. It's called "Switch" and it's about the psychology behind change. I really like it thus far. There's a lot about different case studies or examples of successful change in various life or business situations but it is (surprisingly) keeping my attention. I just want to talk about one thing from it.
Outside of my classroom, I know that it must be difficult for my students who are in classes too advanced for them. Inside of the classroom, it's frustrating to have students who have no idea what I'm saying when I'm giving simple instructions that they should have learned years before.
"What looks like resistance if often a lack of clarity."
Since reading this, this sentence has been on repeat in my head when I'm at work. It's helping me to slow down, and to set very specific goals for my students. Instead of telling them to 'use proper grammar' I've set a concrete goal for them - every answer to a question should be said in a complete sentence. I now have a chart, and I keep track of every time they reply in a full sentence. If they do it so many times by September they will get a small prize. My kids improved immediately. Also, the number I set was really high and the prize one of them suggested was a dollar. I nearly burst out laughing. Kids are so great!
No comments:
Post a Comment